Jobs in the Oil Fields – What first aid do you need?

The oil and gas industry has been booming. Many refer to it as the 21st century gold rush. Jobs are plentiful and pay rates attractive, which means there are a lot of people applying for those jobs. One firm requirement is that the applicant must hold first aid certification, but which one? Many assume that Worksafe Occupational First Oil pipeAid Level 1 is the best course because it’s the standard workplace course here at home in BC. Problem is that this is a Worksafe BC course and is not officially recognized outside of the province. Some oil and gas companies will overlook this and recognize the certification, but not all. The usual workplace requirement for the rest of Canada is Canadian Red Cross Emergency First Aid and this is the certification sought by most of the Oil and Gas companies. The two courses are very similar in content but there are differences. There are also some employers that prefer Canadian Red Cross Standard First Aid as it provides additional training on dealing with accidents in remote locations as well as heat and cold related emergencies. If you have Standard First Aid, you have all the bases covered because it is a higher level than Emergency First Aid so it meets those requirements as well. If you’re really not sure, this is a fairly safe bet.

Occupational First Aid Level 1 does not include any child or infant skills. The reason given by Worksafe is that industries do not employ children and infants and the intent of the course is for providing first aid to workers. The course also includes an understanding of the Worksafe BC documentation and first aid regulations.

Emergency First Aid does include child and infant skills, which may not be useful for treating fellow employees however if you work in an environment where there are children, such as a school, daycare or recreation facility, these skills may be beneficial. EFA does not cover the Worksafe BC documentation and regulations but since you are planning to work outside of BC, the province or territory in which you work will have their own regulations which may differ from those in BC.

If you are applying for a position in the oil and gas industry, the best advice is to ask your prospective employer which first aid certification they prefer. Canadian Red Cross Emergency First Aid is a fairly safe choice if they are not specific and just say you need a valid first aid certificate. If you really want to ensure you cover all bases, then Red Cross Standard First Aid is the best way to go.

Another course that will be of significant interest for people entering the Oil & Gas industry is H2S. This course Intended for individuals who may be exposed to hydrogen sulphide in the workplace, and provides information to help protect individuals from exposure and explains how to deal with emergencies involving H2S. You can use this link to take the H2S course though our online training program.

Originally posted on Critical Choices First Aid


Turner Group of Companies